February's Eat This, Drink That!
It’s time to say goodbye to January, and HELLO to big reds! February is all about big flavours, and we’ve got a Spanish and Portuguese varietal showdown paired with great meals to share! This month we’re bringing you four mouth-watering hearty meals paired with some of our favourite bold reds. Try a tasty Tempranillo with a vegan Mediterranean bowl, or a decadent mac and cheese with a smooth Garnacha. With pairings this good, your February may include a lot more evenings in.
This red blend from the Lisboa region has bright aromas of red fruit and licorice. The silky palate has flavours of ripe plum and cherry with notes of chocolate and spice. At such a great price, this wine will have you saying "OMG" indeed!
A complex wine with aromas and flavours of dried red fruit with notes of vanilla. The wine label was designed by the Valencian painter Eduardo Bermejo, one of the young talents of art in Spain.
This juicy Garnacha has bright aromas and flavours of cherry, licorice and freshly cracked pepper. With firm tannins and a long finish.
A seductive red that is delicious on its own or with a range of food pairing, goes well with pasta, cheeses, and your Sunday roast. The Atlantico has copious fruit flavours with sweet tannins and in its 3 litre format is the perfect option if your expecting to entertain a number of guests!
Recipe type: Main
Wine pairing: Casa Santos Liima OMG Red Blend
- 1 lb. ground beef or "tofu ground beef"
- 2 cups mashed potatoes, hot
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1 cup beef gravy
Preheat over to 375°F. Brown meat (or cook the tofu) in skillet and drain.
Mix potatoes, cream cheese, 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese and the garlic until well blended.
Stir vegetables and gravy into meat then spoon into 9-inch square baking dish.
Cover with potato mixture. Don't worry about it being perfectly even, the more rustic it looks, the better.
Sprinkle with remain 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Bake for 20 minutes or until heated through.
Enjoy with a glass of OMG Red Blend!
Recipe type: Main
Wine Pairing: Eduardo Bermejo Tempranillo
- One package of Falafel
For the salad:
- 2 cups (120 g) fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup (90 g) diced tomato
- 1/4 cup (40 g) diced red onion
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
- Pinch sea salt
- optional: 1 Tbsp (15 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- handful of Kalamata or green olives, pitted
- Mixed greens if desired
Toppings as desired:
- Tahini Sauce
- Chili sauce or Chili Garlic Sauce
Pan fry about 10-12 pieces off the falafel on medium heat in one inch of oil for approximately 3-5 minutes, or until crispy.
Prepare the parsley salad by adding parsley, tomato, onion, lemon juice, salt and olive oil (optional) to a medium mixing bowl and tossing to combine. Set aside.
To serve, divide salad greens and parsley salad between two serving bowls and top with hummus, olives, 6 falafel each and tahini sauce. You may also wish to add some fresh lemon juice and chili garlic sauce. Best when fresh!
Enjoy with a glass of Eduardo Bermejo Tempranillo!
Herbed Chicken Skewers
Recipe type: Appetizer
Wine Pairing: Atlantico Red Blend 3 Litre
For the marinade:
- 1½ tablespoons finely minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cup minced fresh herbs, such as a mix of basil, rosemary and oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons xtra virgin olive oil
For the Skewers:
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into ½ inch slices
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into ¾ inch squares
- 1 medium red onion, cut into wedges and then ¾ inch squares
- 1¼ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 lemon cut into wedges for serving
In a small bowl combine garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, herbs, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Set aside.
Place cut vegetables in a zip lock bag and add 3 tablespoons of the herb marinade. Toss to coat. Place chicken in separate bag and add remaining marinade and toss to coat. Let sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes and up to 4-6 hours.
Preheat the grill to medium heat. Thread the skewers alternating with meat and vegetables. Lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill for 3-4 minutes and then flip. Continue to cook and flip when necessary until the chicken is cooked through to 165 degrees.
Enjoy your Skewers with a generous glass of Atlantico Red Blend!
Macaroni and Cheese with Bacon
Recipe type: Main
Wine pairing: Filon Garnacha
- 6 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1-pound bacon strips, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1 package (8 ounces) process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 3 green onions, chopped
Cook macaroni according to package directions.
Meanwhile, cook bacon over medium heat in a pan until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Sauté jalapeno in reserved drippings. Add milk and cheeses to pan; cook and stir until blended. Stir in the onion powder, chili powder, salt, pepper and pepper sauce.
Drain macaroni; add to pan with the onions and cooked bacon. Mix well.
Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through.
Grab yourself a glass of Filon Garnacha and enjoy your delicious meal